Thursday, September 20, 2007

MORE SMOOTHIN’ AND MEASURIN’!



As the form is being built up and planned down. We always have to keep an eye on the shape and the size. After smoothing it with a flat stick, I’ll use the flat wire rake, then use one of my favorite homemade tools the cable rake. It’s basically a cable housing (Like a bicycle brake) looped into a brass tube.



This helps to bring down the shape in nice even strokes.



I’m lying the sculpt down on the art to check the over all shape. I’ll add a centerline to drawing and a line to indicate where the arms will live. Always keep an eye on the center line of your sculpt, the basic landmarks of where everything will go. I ultimately like my finished pieces to be a little hand made looking, with some looseness in the sculpt. But that can come later after a firm foundation of symmetry is set.





I detect a little wonkyness, it’s a little bigger on the right side. Focusing on the centerlines and making the 2 halves match can fix this. Next I'll even out the 2 sides and map out the other parts of the figure.

No comments: